Bridgwater Museum
Blake House
Galleries
Learning
Contacts
Tile 1. Arms of Clinton of Maxstone or of Maxstone Priory, Warwickshire.
Tile 2. Arms of John de Warenne Earl of Surrey (1231-1304), brother in law of Henry III.
Tile 3. Fragment of a set of two tiles depicting the combat between Richard I and Saladin.
Tile 4. Arms of Richard Earl of Cornwall, brother of Henry III or of his son Edmund.
Tile 5. The arms of John of Eltham Earl of Cornwall 1316-1336, son of Edward II and brother of Edward III.
Tile 6
Tile 7. Arms of Clare set diagonally, four scoop marks set underneath.
Tile 7. Back
Tile 8. Richard of Cornwall reversed set diagonally, two shallow scoop marks underneath.
Tile 8. Back Two shallow scoop marks shown underneath.
Tile 9. See friarn.co.uk
Tile 10. Diagonally set spray of three stems springing from quarter of a ring.
Tile 11. Possibly a previously undocumented tile. Not documented in Decorated Medieval Floor Tiles of Somerset (Barbara J. Lowe), Mediaeval Floor Tiles (Jane A. Wight), Journal of the British Archaeological Association (Jane Harcourt) or A Late Thirteenth-Century Tile-Pavement at Cleve Abbey (J. B. Ward Perkins.
Tile 12. Example in Blake Museum
Tile 13. Example in Blake Museum
Tile 14. Possibly a previously undocumented tile. Not documented in Decorated Medieval Floor Tiles of Somerset (Barbara J. Lowe), Mediaeval Floor Tiles (Jane A. Wight), Journal of the British Archaeological Association (Jane Harcourt) or A Late Thirteenth- Century Tile-Pavement at Cleve Abbey (J. B. Ward Perkins.
Tile 15. Possibly a previously undocumented tile. Not documented in Decorated Medieval Floor Tiles of Somerset (Barbara J. Lowe), Mediaeval Floor Tiles (Jane A. Wight), Journal of the British Archaeological Association (Jane Harcourt) or A Late Thirteenth- Century Tile-Pavement at Cleve Abbey (J. B. Ward Perkins.
Click on an image to enlarge
Tile 1. Late 13th century/early 14th century tile from the Grange, Woolavington.
Tiles
Tiles from Bridgwater Friary
The Grange Woolavington
St Johns Hospital
Tile 2. A floor tile of a type commonly used in Somerset and Dorset. It was found on the site of the Hospital of St. John at the junction of Eastover and Broadway. The only other finds from the site have been one skeleton and the base of a wall. The hospital was a small religous house founded in about 1215.
Copyright © Bridgwater Blake Museum 2016
Privacy First-hand Cookies are neither requested nor generated by this site
If you use an image, please credit Bridgwater Museum as the source